Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Dear Diary?

Monday:
At tea-room at 6am. Off to Nyeri in a windy matatu. Caught more zzzz's enroute. Reached there 8:30am. It was nipple freezing freaking cold-goodbye peripheral sensation hello numbness-despite dressing like some russian during winter bila the vodosky! Climbed up to my apartment, dropped my bag, peed and walked the walk to work. Off to serve the public in pain and staff who wait for Monday's only for 'nice Nick'...thanks to them I worked 9am-2pm non stop.

Last week's sore throat had evolved into a major cold/flu. Runny nose galore-4hankies in an afternoon. You remember my last bout with the cold? Just like before i was reciting SWV's "I get so weak in the knees I can hardly breathe I lose all conrol.."

Afternoon: just happened to pass by. I was getting dehydrated with all that fluid loss.Ngai, someone pass me a drip!

Dinner: half roasted chicken + soda while standing since we're bila furniture in our new digs! Slept at 8pm(atleast kuna kitanda) attempting to sleep for 11 straight hours. That wasn't the case as I kept getting incessant sms's and missed calls. Surely people couldn't tell how sick I am!

By now i have no epithelium on top of my lip from blowing off my nose..in fact it was so severe it was just a case of wiping off my nose!

Finally got to sleep-to wake really later and euphorically find it was 11pm. Oh yes-boy didn't i go back to sleep fast! Love when u think its like dusk-only to realise you have hours to go.

Tuesday:
Woke up 7am. Nasty mood-though relaxed all the same. Splitting head ache. My previously dripping nose feels like its been run over by a truck. My sinuses are blocked to the max(at least its better than a runny nose) Realised I couldnt't smell a thing. Now with the blocked nose am breathing heavily via my mouth..and now a dry throat ensues!

Heated some water with a bucket. Boy those bucket moments are precious. Which reminds me we still need to get that plumber! Ironed, toothbrush moment. Didn't even bother polishing shoes, usually wipe them with spirit swabs at work-or leave them dusty as ever. All lights switched off.

Called a taxi, went to pay bills. Trust me in nyeri with the mud/blizzard/dust you either drive or get driven. I always pay my bills early in the morning when you don't find queue's.

Work 9am-12pm.

Take another taxi to town. As I reach the stage, I flash a makanga on his phone and he comes to a place where we usually meet. Give him cash he goes buys me a ticket as I get into the next matatu in line and sit in my fav position. You must be wondering why? Well, I like seating in front with the driver but by the door. Now in nyeri they don't do, ati, you book a seat. Nope, you buy a ticket and sit where u land. So woe unto you with extremely long legs who doesn't have a makanga on his phone book! ha!

Head back to the land of Nbi-where its even colder and worse, raining!

Note, I didn't take breakfast, so I'm famished plus wracked with fatigue. 6:00 pm and i reach home.Buy take away junk-masala chips and samosas-which i devoured while watching Monday's episode of 'malcolm in the middle.' Very clear i still couldn't smell, so I was limited to salt/sweet/bitter/and sour taste. Definitely didn't enjoy that food.

Wednesday:
Woke up early. My friend(also my house mate in nyeri) wanted some of his software disks back so I rushed to his clinic and dropped them 8-9am. Caught up with with stories-squared off each other's debts as concerns bills.

Called my salary clerk at Afya House to remind her to fix my non-practicing allowance which the mathe had messed up in my May salary(which i received last week)...so she reassured me it will be ok. In July!!!!!

Decided the afro had to go-remember its been a while since the last hair cut? Got the hair cut-in hindsight i now remember why i never cut my hair. So, not only am I balding/ugly/and scalp freezing as well... I've come to realise I have a small disproportionate head and large eyes.

Ha, the barber had jokes as well:
"hey can i shave ur beard?" (what beard?)
"hey has it been a year already?" (Your mama!)

My date for today's movie has cancelled-she has to travel to shags...hmmmh! Don't you just love those last minute cancellations! But maybe its a blessing in disguise.

All in all it is a cold day anyway, so i guess i will stay in doors. I'm bila movies to add insult to injury-but screw all that tomorrow is another day. I'll be working tomorrow.

Batman Begins opens on Fri.So we know where I'll be then.

Trying to get myself off another job I found myself into on saturdays. Wonder how that goes!

Until, then am patiently waiting for the sense of smell!


16 Comments:

Blogger M said...

Poor Nyeri-ites! What could they have done to deserve this?

By the way wewe, Are you one of those goons who went on strike????

6/22/2005 4:27 PM  
Blogger Spidey/Tato said...

i maybe a goon but i didn't go on any strike-haki i promise!!!

6/22/2005 6:09 PM  
Blogger Girl in the Meadow said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6/22/2005 6:32 PM  
Blogger Girl in the Meadow said...

Nick what do you do? Did you by any mistake see me somewhere?
anyway let me tell you me and you share the same horoscope, is that any good reason for you to be tapod.

6/22/2005 6:33 PM  
Blogger Guessaurus said...

Nick - I am sending much needed love to you - better still, take the damned London heat and keep it - on second thought, no, we will keep it.

Gathano - may the force be with you. I will be facing thee in 20days - hmmm

I feel you on the blasted flu/colds - arent they a bugger.

6/22/2005 11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick,

Pole kwa homa..lakini STILL no furniture? Starting pawning your DVD collection.

Ati "epithelium"? What happened to just saying that ka-top part of my lip? Isn't that the NG stylee?

As for the UK heat...I would actually pack it in Guess' suitcase because all it brings is hayfever!

@Guess..20 days? lucky you..

6/23/2005 1:18 AM  
Blogger wg-k said...

woiyee nick, vumilia. we're both suffering. I have a horrible cold too--yaani your germs fikad here all the way from those sides? aiee. we'll be better soon, hang in there!

6/23/2005 2:46 AM  
Blogger Ka said...

Hahha @your matatu booking,helps to know peeps in hig places huh??Hope you feel better soon!!.

6/23/2005 6:51 AM  
Blogger Melissa Omino said...

pole sana about the cold...yaani that description was so vivid I could see it raw...ouch!! get better soon...as for the bucket...I feel you! At least ur bafu doesn't have "a roof that extends to the sky!"

6/23/2005 1:59 PM  
Blogger Farmgal said...

Pole Nick next time take paracetamol and sleep lots. Hope you are now feeling mzuri.Please someone prescribe something for my hayfever!
Big up for not going on strike!

6/23/2005 2:34 PM  
Blogger M said...

If you'd have gone on strike I'd have gotten my father to beat yours!

6/23/2005 3:41 PM  
Blogger Guessaurus said...

@M - LOL *smh* - you never cease to amaze me :)

@MJY - yep I am in need of re-education big time.

@Poi - I would take all of you if I could, but I will endeavour to have fun with the Guess family, and hopefully live to tell you all about it.

@Nick - Please accept a virtual hug n hope you are feeling better - LOL on Touts on speed dial - networking eh?

6/23/2005 4:08 PM  
Blogger Spidey/Tato said...

@shiroh:wink wink and a virtual kiss

@guess:20 days ebu bring on that heat babay. bring it!!!...oh and the warm weather too-ha ha ha!!!!

@MJY:ati pawn my dvd collection-have u know shame or respect for such sacred property?
epithelium-trust me with a cold there's no NG stylee

@WG-K: hung in there i'd hold ur hand if i was there...am telling you a cold is a b@#$@$!!! with such a sweet simple name-ati cold!!!

@sunflower:i'm beginnin to smell today..and am at that stage of thick heavy viscous...

@Kashata: Hey u gots to have the right connections am tellin u. its all about who u know!

@poi:am tellin you. from kange's to taxi drivers am hooked up on the level!

@Kinyi:lol ati floor to sky walls pia...hey but am beginnin to love them bucket.there's nothin like pourin a huge kasuku of hot water on yourself...

@farmgal: child, email me we discuss anithistamines

@M: kijana usilete compe ya parents.
My mum can dub tv progs while watchin another channel and can use the video timer...hata anajua kuplay dvd's and mp3's....unleash yours!!!!

@wangari:sore throat-run,duck,tuck and roll, hide!!!!u had better start ur antibiotics before that devil's friend starts spreadin...

@kymmbr:
-lol ati put another epithelium on ha ha ha
-strong as a cow-in nyeri i wouldnt find that funny
-hey batman better be sweet 2more days.

6/23/2005 8:35 PM  
Blogger Guessaurus said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6/23/2005 9:58 PM  
Blogger Guessaurus said...

@Nick - reading you loud and clear. Clearly you are 'feeling' better...

6/23/2005 9:59 PM  
Blogger Uaridi said...

I tried long distance matatus in 2000 - Kisii to Nakuru and am still recovering from the experience. How do you do it?

7/18/2005 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home