Wednesday, June 01, 2005

DVD, TV and I

It’s been a year since I discovered or is it made the big transition to TV-series. Being the self confessed TV/movie addict-I’ve been having relations with that TV screen since '85. But last year in June, I discovered the joy of borrowing TV-series. The whole art of borrowing an entire season had been lost on me...of course, until June 2004. The one thing that can be derived from TV-series is that aspect of continuity;
-in story line. Per season per show the story line and characters develops. You get personally attached...
-the fact you don't have to deal with advertisements, weekly lapses, video timers...

Oh and if it's on DVD:
-audio and visual quality is so superior. It takes viewer enjoyment to a climax...where was this technology back when I had time
-subtitles: Oh! yes never again will you miss a word said or whispered
-special features: yes I watch them all, deleted scenes, behind the scenes...if you were an addict you'd know why
-audio commentaries. Oh the joy of hearing what the actors/directors/producers have to say...

So it's been a year and this is all I have to show for it:

24: Season2-4
Oh yes I spent 5.5hrs yesterday watching back to back, the last episodes of season 4 24-I am emotionally, physically and mentally addicted to this show. Yes, I know its fiction-but damn it, that's one hell of fiction!!!!
I've said it before and I’ll say it again; this show is not for the weak hearted. It's packed with so much suspense if you're on heart medication you better give it a miss. Each episode is like a movie on its on-trust me, woe unto you if you miss just one episode.
It is severely well cast. Well edited-no space or time to waste.

This is the best thing on TV.


Alias: Season 1-4
Initially, I was going through withdrawals from 24. I didn't know what to start on. I thought it was going to be like watching some chick pull a 'Charlie's Angels' routine and
Thought it was gonna be crap. I'm telling you there's more to it than shady fight scenes. Between revolving story lines to do with Rimbaldi artifacts, the C.I.A, Covenant, and the previously destroyed SD-6...there are so many secrets that lie beneath- u have no option but to get addicted.
This show peaked from Season 1 halfway and it's been a roller coster ever since.

CSI: Season 1-3
Who can say no to solving murder but in a 2000 kinda way? Latest, authentic technology at its best. We all grew up with murder mysteries e.g. Derrick...But C.S.I does it so damn well with intriguing cases, and plausible solving approaches. Their technical advisors are so on point-you get nothing but the real deal. Visual effects are spectacular. A Jerry Bruckheimer Production-and you know about his rep right???

Will and Grace: Season 1
Pure NBC comedy. NBC has produced some of the best comedies of our time and this happens to be one of them. It's fresh, funny and not the same kind of sit-com scenarios that have become so trite.

0z: Season 1-3(and have 5-6)
Like all HBO progs this is one heck of a controversial prison drama. Trust me if you love drama-this is it. It is raw, intense and funny. Different sects divided up in prison from the Christians, Muslims, Aryans, Italians, Latino's...and watch them all get into each other's business in the maximum penitentiary that is, OZ

Six Feet Under:Season 1-2
Another HBO prog. It's as sick and morbid as it gets. Good for a laugh and drama as well. Excellent writing.

Sopranos: Season 1-4
Mmm mmmm that Tony Soprano, an adorable yet ice-cold mafia boss. If you like your mafia movies-this is the series for you. A mafia boss with issues that goes to a shrink (it aired before Analyse This) and is a bad ass mutha... oh yes! It’s as real as real gets. A little slow in Season one...but hung on for the ride. As he takes over power from his uncle who is the current boss...as he schemes and manipulates...and has struggles with his Dr Melfi, his mistresses, children, and back stabbing capos...

Frasier: Season 1-3
I was skeptical about this comedy but after I could see how it run for 11 years!!!
Frasier was spin of from hit NBC show-Cheers. He stereotypes your rich, Ivy League educated, elitist snob so well! The show has intellectual humor-almost British to say!
Where else would u get killer lines like?

"It's easier to get into her bed than a community college!!!!"
"I am not paid enough!! Actually, I need a raise to get to not-enough!!!"


Friends: Season 10
One of my all time fav comedies. I had never seen any of their behind the scenes especially mistake gags. Why they chose to end this series will always be a mystery.

Roswell
: Season 1-2
Ok, let it not be said ati I'm not versatile. It was an almost crap show-of course it got cancelled in season 3. But hey, the storyline about 3 aliens living on earth trying to get back home wasn't so bad. Think X-files, think Smallville...think I borrowed the entire set I might as well finish it!!!!

Smallville: Season 1-4
Initially, I had refused utterly to start this show. But like any true addict, watch the first show and you're hooked. Surprisingly it's not as lame as you'd think!! And watching Clark Kent slowly evolve into Superman is a treat for the fans of this comic hero. The writers have been very accurate dealing Clark Kent. The have never deviated from the original storyline and haven't conflicted with even the Superman movies or series' ever made.
Also worth watching is how Lex Luthor eventually will turn out to be a villain.

The Shield: Season 1-3
Oh yes!!!! Welcome back Police drama with a bang. Enter Det. Mackey. To hell with those cliché bad cop and good cop-why not roll all in one-A good-bad-dirty cop!!!!
Its raw and twisted...you gotta love it!!!

The West Wing: Season 1-4
If politics is your cup of tea, get yourself some muffins and enjoy the ride.
What's noteworthy is the excellence and intelligence in the writing of this show!
Everything about it just screams superior quality!!!

In Living Color: Season 1
Hey it was funny on KTN had to watch it again. Where else do u get to see the entire Wayan's Family do their thing...not to mention Jim Curry was a nobody before this show in fact he was James Curry then.

Just Shoot Me: Season 1-2
Killer sarcasm! Killer punch lines! In-your-face disses!!! This I had to re-watch it on DVD. They don't make comedies like this any more.

Knight Rider: 1 episode
I loved this show when I was a kid. Boy that 'Kit' was the car of my dreams.
So I see the DVD and I borrow it in a heart beat. Set in 1982...the thing bored me. I'm sorry Michael Knight and Kit-as much as I was a die hard fan...I couldn't finish the show's premiere episode.

O.C: 2 episodes
With a tagline like "Welcome to orange county, bitch!!!!" I don't think so...
The library lady suggested I try it. She was so persistent even gave me the first 4 episodes for free. Pure CRAP!!!!!

Desperate Housewives: Season 1
Every household has its little secrets!
A must watch-irregardless of who the target audience is. I'll say it again-TERI HATCHER is there!!!!! and Nicollete Sheridan-the man-hungry slut!
Has all the elements that make a hit show-drama, suspense, sex, scandal and tonnes of humor. And you wonder why it’s a hit show????

Lost: Season 1
I actually love this show. Very original concept of guys getting lost after an air crush and get washed onto an island that seems to have creatures and people that are quite extra-ordinary if not extra-terrestrial. We are yet to discover whether they are lost in some kind of Bermuda triangle/black hole phenomenon, cause crazy stuff is going. Same creator as Alias; so it has the similar mysteries that u have to watch unfold.

So to cut a long story short-last year has been busy. My video library adores me obviously...of course with my history they can't even mention stuff like late fees. I have immunity. They even call or sms me.
That is my list-which of course excludes TV watched live or movies borrowed. Oh and if you are wondering I do have a job...and 8-5 job. I do have a social life! I do sleep!
You just have to find the time...plus you need to know that special lib that charges DVD rentals at 100/= and of course have your very own Patron Saint of TV...to whom am grateful to

29 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haiya Nick nice mini-reviews. What about Sex & the City (aka SATC) - I admit I thought it was empty and shallow at first but once I gave more attention to it I think it was a funny show.. and as for Carrie ending up with Big (ladies is he delish or what?) Alas I think Desper Housewives tried to be like SATC lakini wapi.

6/01/2005 9:07 PM  
Blogger kipepeo said...

oh my god...im first today!!!im sooo excited...anyway nickyboo, i sooooo feel you on desperate housewives, not the terri hatcher vibe, but i love desparate housewives. Just finished watching taken....pretty cool. now i know who to come to when im having an "oh my gosh, what movie do i want to watch" moment

6/01/2005 9:08 PM  
Blogger kipepeo said...

ok...i wasnt first, memoire and i must have been typing at the same time...i was beaten by a munute!!!! damnit!

6/01/2005 9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick - you really need to watch the WIRE... this show rivals the Shield and the story line is just too deep!!!

6/01/2005 9:14 PM  
Blogger Spidey/Tato said...

@memoire:yeah imagine i've never like SATC that much-tho liked 4episodes ive watched...but chat wittorments he's a die hard fan
@farmgal:ha ha ha maybe ur a slow typer. trust me a post on movies would be really long but yeah we can be movie mates
@Anon:the wire is hot!! i missed a couple of episodes on TV trust me i get it on DVD and it will be on next years list. Same for Agency

6/01/2005 9:29 PM  
Blogger Migz said...

Wewe boss..your kazi is watching TV ama agonizingly plucking out people's teeth?

I'm a TV addict lakini the past year has been tough...bila TV, new environment, priorities for what to learn have overtaken the need for the tube...

Lakini I have ordered some bootleg episodes of 24 Series 2 and 3 ( 4-in-1 with 6 episodes DVDs, made in some high school in Indonesia, hawked in bars in Dagoretti Corner...)

Can't wait!

6/01/2005 10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are truely a TV addict..even smallville? now this one i would not watch i would rather wire my eyes wide shut..

I agree with anon you should watch the WIRE one of my favs

6/01/2005 11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude you do watch a lot of TV...

Guess what DH has just finished leo on Channel 4 and the ending is fantastic.

Btw...ebu soma your replies...you referred to Kipepeo as Farmgal....methinks that TV is messing your eyes.

6/02/2005 4:43 AM  
Blogger Farmgal said...

I was reading the comments and alas apparently kipepeo has become farmgal. Yaani Nick am messing with your mind like that LOl
U sure do love your telly!

6/02/2005 5:59 AM  
Blogger Guessaurus said...

Nick, you do love your TV. And I think you have excellent taste in progs. I dont watch that much TV, but when I do its specific progs as opposed to n'gethiaring there for ages.

So, I am with you on:
24, Sheild, CSI, DH, Alias, OZ, 6ft under. Ok, I am beginning to sound like you. LOL

6/02/2005 12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this post and was reminded what your Patron Saint about you - I giggled, but with you not at you:)

I am a great fan of Frasier and love watching repeats especially the early years. I also love Six Feet Under.

6/02/2005 1:23 PM  
Blogger kipepeo said...

dude!!! i think you need to take a break from the box...since when did kipepeo look anything remotely like farmgirl...ok, maybe there is an aspect of nature involved but that is a very very long shot dear!!!

6/02/2005 1:47 PM  
Blogger Spidey/Tato said...

@everyone: this is just what i happpened to borrow-it doesnt include what i already watch on tv...as in na bado!!!
@migz: them pirated bootlegs are such a plot. ati the entire season on 1DVD. if the disks skips cause of a scratch u miss an entire episode-LMAO!!!
@msanii:i'm telling you hata smallville. i was a non-believer like you...i've seen the light!
@cilia: CSI rocks i'd like to watch teh othes as well ati miami,ny...nbi???
@MJY:u darn busted me on that one. can u believe usiku's it hit me i may have made a mistake....
@farmgal:my kasweetie beau-u always on my mind
@guess:better believe it...what u say u and me and a tv and a camera(get it)!!
@kari:trust me i got both comments on email.those 24marathons are heavenly.
My fav friends character-of course in the beginnin it was Chandler and Phoebe...then surprisingly Ross turned out to be hilarious. so it would have to be Ross/chandler/phoebe

@aunty:Frasier is definitely classy. and ebu tell ur fav neph what Patron Saint has being saying about me...

@kipepeo: it wasn't me

@Wangari:trust u'd fall for O.C. But HBO def rocks...i hear Everwood is also great(my patron saint suggested it)

6/02/2005 7:05 PM  
Blogger akiey5 said...

Hey Nick, I like your selection.
Oz, The Sopranos & The West Wing, now you're talking! I doubt I missed an episode of Oz. The Sopranos, that's taking the Mob affiliation a step further, bet you know that!
And...if only we had a real life president as good as Martin Sheen on the West Wing, if only.

6/02/2005 7:58 PM  
Blogger WM said...

I haven't had a working T.V. for years now...and I am so happy I found your post, because now I've caught up with everything. True public service, brother.:) Thanks!

6/02/2005 10:17 PM  
Blogger Guessaurus said...

Loud and clear baby, I am camping round your bedroom for the summer *wink*

6/03/2005 11:42 AM  
Blogger moggaless said...

The West Wing: Season 1-4
If politics is your cup of tea, get yourself some muffins and enjoy the ride.


Did someone mention muffins! where and how!

6/03/2005 7:00 PM  
Blogger Calvin said...

jamaa.. you missed one of the best shows on NBC.. Scrubs!!

by the way,Lost has such a weak storyline we were writing better compositions in class 4!!

6/03/2005 9:45 PM  
Blogger Farmgal said...

@Nick ..right back at you!

6/03/2005 10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick, step away from the television!!

@torments
Karen provision stores has some fab muffins!

@Memoire
Big is like three kinds of delish. I was so totally hooked on SATC it was a like a disease!

Nick please come with me we go get you a life.

6/04/2005 2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey nick , what would you say to the shield season 4 .but echoing Ms K's sentiments you need to get yourself a life :-) so I think I will just hold on to that for a while .

6/04/2005 3:40 PM  
Blogger Spidey/Tato said...

@akiey:soprano's is hot too bad its on a hiatus mpaka next year.have u seen that house???
@WM:i have another must watch tv list-cheza tu
@kari:u can borrow if only u can keep up the pace and pay teh price
@guess:the more the merrier...practice that pole dance(wink)
@Torments:weh kijana u and muffins...i have a feeling i can prank u like tom pranks that dog witha doggy biscuit. just hold a muffin over ur nose and u'll be there dangling on ur hind legs-obedient and all...
:soray:weh kijana this was alist of what was available and i borrowed/watched..its nox comprehensive and exclusive...that and the fact i cant get SCRUBS anywhere DRAT!!!!
@ms k:ati nini ebu leta disks zangu saa huu huu huu
@Anon:thou shall not be welcomed here if u are hoarding Shield season 4 and are not sharin-where is the decency and compassion of a fellow blogmate....Please please please pretty pretty please hook a brada up..u can email me my link is down there

6/04/2005 9:18 PM  
Blogger Afromusing said...

i feel you on Alias. Its my favourite show. That sydney, eh she can chapa people vibaya.

6/05/2005 10:47 PM  
Blogger Sauti Radio said...

If I like cars, then you like TV...but let me tell you. Televisheni ni chombo cha mkoloni kutufanya waafrika kama sisi tushindwe kuamka asubuhi na mapema ili tuweze kukimbisha mali. Lazima nitumie lugha ya kiswahili ili macho ya mkoloni isipate kugundua kuwa tumelichambua pango lake la dhiki na ugomvi. Tahadhari....jicho la mkoloni bado lakuangalia usiku!


OK I freaked myself out for a second there....

6/06/2005 9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ sonny - umefanya vizuri kumwambia huyu kijana , kila siku nikimkanya yeye hasikii anataka zaidi , ukihesabu masaa ambayo anamaliza mbele ya televisheni basi ni mengi sana , hata sijui anapata wapi wasaa wakukaa na familia yake .....

6/06/2005 11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't watch much TV - 2/3 hrs a week - but 1 show has me hooked: 24!!
the season 4 finale was off the scale!!

6/06/2005 9:47 PM  
Blogger SHOBALI said...

When I need to know what's on TV, I'll just holler at you.
Perhaps NTV, KTN et al should outsource their Kufungua kituo programming to you, I can help you chora the proposal, you do the line up.
Peace and Bow down!

6/07/2005 12:10 AM  
Blogger Adrian said...

the three shows on tv here which i try not to miss:
- lost (haven't missed a single episode)
- six feet under (took some time for me to appreciate the special humour, but now i'm lovin' it)
- scrubs (loved it from the beginning - too bad they bring it on friday & sato evenings these sides)
(good thing about these three: i can switch the language to english - it's just not quite the same in german or french)

my absolute fav: fresh prince!!

6/07/2005 12:50 AM  
Blogger Girl in the Meadow said...

nick please nikopeshe TV please,

6/07/2005 5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home