Saturday, July 02, 2005

Luther Vandross

It's with sadness that R&B fans worldwide receive the news of the passing of a legend. Chicago Tribune is quoted "There's no telling how many babies were conceived, hearts healed and lovers reunited to the suave soul ballads of Luther Vandross, who died Friday at 54."

Known for his numerous love songs and his battling weight problems that only he and Oprah(girl you're on your own now!) could understand, this legend will forever withstand the test of time in the R&B genre. In the musical circles he was referred to as "The Voice" or "Pavarotti of Pop" or "The King of pillow talk"...and it was obvious why. He was purely all voice-don't think anyone could ever come close to him when it comes to unleashing vocals....not to mention the gift of writing story-telling lyrics. These were not merely tawdry love songs-this were deep meaningful songs!

Undoubtedly, my two favorite songs include the commonest wedding anthem "here and now" and "if only for one night" His other greatest include: "so amazing" "secret love" "always and forever" "can heaven wait" "dance with my father"...and you remember those 80's hits "never too much-1000kisses from you is never too much" even the song for that Danny Devito and Bette Midler movie...."give me a reason to love you now"

His duets have been breathtaking-think of
- " there's nothing greater than love" with the late Gregory Hines. One of the greatest duets ever
-"endless love" with Mariah...its almost better than the original
-"best things in life" with Janet Jackson
-"i know" with stevie wonder

His albums were the kind you just play start to finish. In his case it was not about a single-but about an album in its entirety. Funnily enough his wonderful, timeless and classic songs were never chart toppers, but he was a star nonetheless. It was with "dance with my father" that he ever had a number one album, and sadly that was his last work of art. As Mariah is the best female voice of our time, he was the best male voice of our time. In his own words he had said he didn't want to be remembered as a popstar but only to be remebered as the voice! Love songs won't be the same- though his music and definitely his voice will live on.




26 Comments:

Blogger Farmgal said...

I got home late last night and just caught that on the news. I was very shocked prolly coz i had no idea the guy was ill and in hospital. Ihope his soul rests in peace..thanks for all the love songs Luther you will always be remembered by many!

R.I.P

Nick that was sweet of you!

7/02/2005 5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

R.I.P Luther... will definitely play u at my wedding.

7/02/2005 11:09 PM  
Blogger Ms K said...

I was watching Sky's tribute and they semad that Luther never enjoyed mainstream sucess and it just sounded wrong to me. Luther was pure magic. For me it is not really about chrt-topping or record breaking. He put his heart anbd soul into his music and that for me is more profound than number ones.

7/03/2005 5:54 PM  
Blogger Guessaurus said...

My friend actually called me to let me know, and I was shocked - OK it wasnt unexpected in a way but its always a shock when that happens.

Its the best place for him right now, and he will be missed by all -Nick, that was a cool tribute, and I love every single one of those songs, and more...

RIP Luther, your fans live on!!

7/03/2005 6:44 PM  
Blogger Ka said...

RIP Luther!,nice post Nick.

7/03/2005 6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luther Vandross will be missed.

7/03/2005 10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luther Vandross will be missed.

7/03/2005 10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luther Vandross will be missed. Thanks for this post, nephew.

7/03/2005 10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Hits??? Nick you need to re look at that comment and rewrite your tribute

7/04/2005 12:11 PM  
Blogger Melissa Omino said...

Even though he wasn't mainstream he sure did make a huge impact. He said it all and he sang it beautifully. Its sad but when I saw Oprah interview him undergoing physical therapy/rehab I kind of lost hope for his comeback but I didn't even want to think about him dying, I just expected him to like grow old but always be around. Through his songs he still lives.

7/04/2005 12:59 PM  
Blogger M said...

So sad - he was without a doubt one of the finest singers of all time.

"Your Secret Love" still does me tricks

RIP dude

7/04/2005 1:31 PM  
Blogger kipepeo said...

He will always be a great love song legend....can't heaven wait has got to be one of the greatest love songs of our time! May he rest in peace!

7/04/2005 1:32 PM  
Blogger Girl in the Meadow said...

He left a legacy, thats all that matters.

7/04/2005 1:59 PM  
Blogger akiey said...

Nick, very nice, very nice tribute to the "Voice" that is Luther. Sad that he had to go while still young but hey, it's what you do with your life & not how long you live right? He'll still be missed dearly.
My most fav songs are: "Here & Now", "I Who Have Nothing" & "Don't Wanna Be A Fool".
R.I.P Luther.

7/04/2005 9:44 PM  
Blogger Magaidi said...

R.I.P. There was only one 'Luther'. Made women scream, their hearts melted at the sound of his voice,
fellas loved his smooth tunes, jamaas used his songs on dates, I know I did!
He was the only one. One Love. Maximum respect. There will only be one - LUTHER! We love you son.

7/05/2005 2:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not a 100% Luther Fan but it was still saddening to hear of his death.

Your tribute is so well written...didn't know you had it in you ;)

7/05/2005 12:08 PM  
Blogger Prousette said...

Nick this is so touching really.
I had a serious crush on this man ,I wanted to be his secret love... BTW does he have family as in wife and kids.

RIP

7/05/2005 2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was devastated to hear about Luther's passing. However, just like some else said/wrote, when I watched his interview on Oprah after his massive stroke, I doubted that he would ever make a complete recovery. I really feel for his mother who over the years lost her husband and all her four children. God give Mama Luther the strength to go on and RIP Luther Vandross. I am sure glad I got to see you in concert 5 times!

7/05/2005 8:05 PM  
Blogger SHOBALI said...

Great post Nik,
I first heard in on radio,and that news hurt.Unlike some musicians, he wasn't a passing cloud.And even with his passing on, we still treasure the part of his soul that he shared with us.

RIP Luther.

7/06/2005 4:37 AM  
Blogger wg-k said...

I was really sad to hear about Luther too Nick. I'm a big fan,always will be.

Prousette, he didn't have a wife and kids, he never married but he had nieces and nephews that the press reports he doted on.

7/07/2005 4:22 AM  
Blogger gishungwa said...

Nick that was both sweet and very good. See luther didnt have to top charts he topped the hearts of many that is like walking on holy ground not many left who can do that. Only hting left is to celebrate his life instead of mourning his passing.
Great songs brings back alot of memories.
Cheers mate!

7/07/2005 9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deep tribute. R.I.P

7/11/2005 8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. We played Luther and Mariah Carey at our Wedding their rendition Endless Love in June 1999. This song and many other Luther Vandross songs will forever be played and especially as we celebrate our wedding anniversaries as the years go by. Luther, you are in our hearts and minds. God bless your soul.

7/12/2005 2:44 PM  
Blogger Medusa said...

I'm so glad someone took the time to pay tribute.I started to several times, I didn't think anything I had to say would be 'enough'. To say I was shocked to hear of his passing, would be an understatement.. I'm still trying to figure out why I took this one so personally. I remember I'd just walked out of the shower, and Luther's songs were playing back to back on the radio, and the otherwise hyped up radio dj was rather sombre..I just knew something was wrong..sure enough, one of my absolute fav. musicians was gone..Couldn't heaven have waited a little longer?
Nick, pole for going on about this..I just LOVED this man's music, and him by extension I guess. My heart goes out to his mom, and his fans the world over...
Here's to the power of love!

7/13/2005 7:10 AM  
Blogger Farmgal said...

hey unlike you not to post in a whole week. wewe iko wapi?

7/14/2005 12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luthor was quite simply one of the most amazing talents!!!

Im so very sad that you are no longer with us.

Sleep well luthor in the knowledge that your special talent has helped me through some of the most difficult times in my life and im sure that your music will live forever!

Respect and love luthor

Chris U.K

9/12/2005 5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home